Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Parsnip, Yam & Watercress Chowder

I'm addicted to making this soup, I've been making it at least once a week and chow on the leftovers all week for lunch cuz it's so filling, a little goes a long way...I used veggie broth instead of chicken and I also puree all of the apple/parsnip part of it (instead of only 2C. as directed, which makes it less chowder-ish) as parsnips are really intense and pureeing them calms them down a bit.I also use baby spinach instead of watercress when I can't find decent watercress. I'll take a pic next time I make it for a visual...

I got this recipe from Bon Appétit Dec. 2007

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
  • 4 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled parsnips (about 4 large)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
  • 3 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 cup chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 medium)
  • 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled yam (red-skinned sweet potato; about 1 large)
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream
  • 4 cups watercress sprigs (tops of 2 bunches)
Preparation

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add parsnips and onion. Sauté until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups broth and apple. Cover and simmer until parsnips are tender, about 12 minutes. Puree 2 cups parsnip mixture in blender until very smooth. Return puree to pot. Add yam cubes and nutmeg. Cover and simmer until yam cubes are tender, about 12 minutes. Mix in cream, then watercress. Stir until watercress wilts, about 2 minutes. Thin chowder with more broth, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

1 comment: